This brand was registered in 1834 by Ignacio Larranaga, located at 94 O’Reilly Street, Havana. The name Por Larranaga means ”By Larranaga”.
By the end of the 19th Century, Por Larranaga was already a known premium brand, a favourite among rich people and celebrities. Besides producing expensive cigars, the brand also produces inexpensive cigars for the average customer. Por Larranaga was the first cigar factory to make machine-made cigars. The year was 1925. Though this subsequently resulted in a boycott by factory workers.
Despite the fame, Por Larranaga has never been a brand of big output, the cigars produce were mainly for export.
Production remained uninterrupted after the Revolution. In the 1960s and 1970s, the brand maintained the solid reputation it gained since the 19th Century as a premium brand.
Production began to fall in the 1980s for unknown reasons.
In the 1990s because of the litigation over the trademark, export of the brand was reduced to a few countries only.
Now the brand is almost a complete machine-made brand, with only one hand-made model remaining, the Petit Coronas.